Re: Predicting Growth.

From: Bart the bear <bartthebear_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Sep 2006 13:51:40 -0700

Ben wrote:
> Ent Ed. 9.2.0.5, DMT's on AIX5L
>
> There isn't really an accurate way to estimate growth of a database, is
> there?

Well, there are several methods: fllight of the birds, entrails of domestic animals,
tea leaves, coffee residue, professionals inhaling laurel vapors (that method
is known as SQL = "Said Quixotically on Laurel" and was used by priestess
named Pythia, who now works at Pythian Group in Canada) or statistics. All
of the above methods are equally reliable.

>I have a history of six months of my data file sizes, but even
> with that there are too many variables envolved to determine that my
> database is going to continue to grow at a rate of 50 gig per year.
>
> Even if you assume a constant rate of growth, how would you base your
> projection?

I usually base my projections on Jameson's or Tullamore Dew. They really help with the crystall ball if consumed in large enough quantities. Whaddya mean by "base your
 projection"? You have historical data and you make linear extrapolation or Lagrange polynomial. All your base are belong to us. Received on Thu Sep 21 2006 - 15:51:40 CDT