Creating a function to convert UTM-cord. to Longitude/Langitude?

From: <tore.lonoy_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Sep 2006 05:09:10 -0700

Hello group!

Im currently creating an application that will use google-maps to add markers with information. In the back I use an oracle database:

Name		Null? 		Type
BID	 	NOT NULL 	NUMBER
UTM 		NOT NULL 	VARCHAR2(100)
BESKRIVELSE 	NOT NULL 	VARCHAR2(1000)
KATEGORI 	NOT NULL 	VARCHAR2(100)
TYPE 		NOT NULL 	VARCHAR2(100)
TIDSFAKTOR 	NOT NULL 	VARCHAR2(100)
OID 	  			NUMBER
STATUS 	  			VARCHAR2(100)
PERSONID 	  		VARCHAR2(50)

This table contain as you see, an UTM field, sample output:
BID 	UTM 	BESKRIVELSE 	KATEGORI
25003 	6755189 311744 	Skadet barn trenger førstehjelp 	Førstehjelp
TYPE 	TIDSFAKTOR 	OID 	STATUS 	PERSONID
Person 	Viktig 	1 	Meldt 	16303

This table is read-only, and we are not allowed to copy the content to our own table-space, but we have permissions to create functions.

So here is the deal, since google maps only support longitude and langitude cordinates, i have to convert them. Shouldn't be a problem, but I would like to avoid to implement this in the application, but rather on the data-layer.

I found a Java-application which describes pretty good on how to convert UTM to Lng/Lat. Before I creating the function, I was wondering if it is possible to create a function which would fetch data from the given table, and return a identical table, but with the UTM field converted to Longitude and Langitude?

Thanks alot for your help! Received on Thu Sep 21 2006 - 07:09:10 CDT