Re: Oracle 10g on Microsoft's Virtual Server

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:30:24 GMT

Doug Jones wrote:
> Sadly I am not in the position to change things here. I understand that
> there may infact be better practices that could be put into production.
> However, being that I can't change how things are, I would be more
> interested in what impact running Oracle on a Mircosoft Virtual server
> would have. What is the average "workload" of an Oracle server for say
> 100 users and a database about 11.9gig (backup file size). I really
> appreciate such a great response to my question. I haven't seen this
> much support since my days in the Linux forums.

There is no such thing as an "average" workload. My 100 users may, and most likely *will* have a completely different workload on my database when compared with your users and your database. We are talking different data, different users, different access patterns, different applications. There is no magic formula similar to the following:

workload = (#users*db_size*magic_factor)

The best you can do is to implement the system and monitor the workload and its impact on your resources.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net