Re: Installing a new client 9.2 (SERVICE_NAME --> SID)

From: Serghei <serghei.golub_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2006 04:39:42 -0700

Ashish Gupta писал(а):

> Hi,
>
> We were trying to install a new oracle client on a PC. The client
> version is 9.2.
>
> After the installation, we could not connect to the server (on a
> solaris machine).
>
> We needed to modify the tnsnames.ora to be able to connect. We had to
> replace SERVICE_NAME by SID.
>
> Please can you tell me if this is the normal way of installing the
> Oracle Client, or did we make some mistake.
>
> Thanks a lot for your kind help.
>
> Regards,
> Ashish

Try this one: replace SERVICE_NAME by SID.<db_domain>. You can obtain this from another PC already connected to DB by: SQL> conn sys/<you_password> as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> show parameters db_domain

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
db_domain                            string      WORLD
SQL> Received on Wed Sep 20 2006 - 06:39:42 CDT