Re: Avoiding generating redo logs

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:04:13 +0100

In article <uac4v4aks.fsf_at_rcn.com>, Galen Boyer says...
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, jeremy0505_at_gmail.com wrote:

> >> I would look at materialized views myself, because, that is really
> >> what you are describing (ie, I want to have a query not have to
> >> execute everytime, but instead, have it stored so I can get the
> >> results quicker) An MV helps solve that in a most impressive fashion.
> >>
> > This may help actually, yes - however when the user requests the data
> > to be refreshed, it needs to be up-to-date rather than based on the
> > latest snapshot (am I right that MVs are periodically refreshed rather
> > than instantaneously with each transaction that may affect the
> > content?).
>

> Well, if you are worried about that, you certainly shouldn't be trying
> to save your own manufactured snapshot. You will never get that correct
> while Oracle will always get that correct.

It isn't a "own manufactured snapshot" - merely the results of a query such as "show me the orders in the last 24 hours" which we then are allowing the user to view in the way he chooses via the web interface. Every time the query runs, it will be on the current at the time data.

--

jeremy