Re: Oracle 10g on Microsoft's Virtual Server

From: Doug Jones <dnetstore_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2006 13:50:50 -0700

Error on my part.... replace the word server wherever you read PC. I was in a hurry and didn't want to type out Server ;)

Why VM? Well, I think the theory is ease of disaster recovery. In theory if the VHDs (virtual hard drives) are backed up, you could just dump C and D on a VM and BOOM you are up and running. I like that idea, but it is all theory. Of course I am working this theory into reality. I am a hardware/software guy for 11 years, but Oracle is new.

Here is what I have accomplished:
Setup virtual server -

In theory this would remove the lengthy restore process from tape or other media. Install or flashing an IMAGE back on the server and installing oracle (or even using an image with oracle on it) and then importing your data would take X amount of time. This scenario takes about 15 minutes. Nightly backups of the VHDs is all that is required.

It is all still theory, but it does work with no side effects. (that we have found so far)

So, why go VM - everything breaks eventually (well not really :) ) so they want to get back up as fast as possible with minimum loss of data...... I think they are more worried of hardware failure then simple problems. ---- Really unsure on this part....

As for me...... I am yet to decide if I like the whole idea or not. I like the job though ;)

Doug Received on Tue Sep 19 2006 - 15:50:50 CDT