Oracle released ( finally ) 10.2 on solaris 10 x86 ( 32 bit )

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 19 Sep 2006 09:45:38 -0700

They have had the 64 bit version ( which requires an AMD cpu ) out for a while but looks like they just released the 32 bit version yesterday.

So now you should be able to run Oracle 10.2 on solaris 10 x86 on any ( well any modern ) intel cpu in 32 bit mode.

I guess this is maybe the final port of 10.2 to other platforms? Or is oracle still working on delivering anything else?

Oracle's history of supporting the x86 sun operating systems has been pretty erratic, more of a now you see it now you don't type of thing. But the changes we have seen in the last year with oracle on solaris now being the preferred development environment and the changes to the multi core pricing strategies appear to be getting traction with oracle's support of three different solaris operating system flavors ( sparc, x86 64 bit, and now x86 32 bit ).

For a while I was thinking that we would be seeing an INSTANCE_TYPE = LINUX32/LINUX64 with oracle providing the operating system but now maybe we will be seeing INSTANCE_TYPE=SOL10x86_32/SOL10x86_64???

Since Solaris is moving so strongly to open source, and if oracle decides they want to provide the os for customers, what makes more sense ... delivering a proven enterprise level unix os or going the linux direction?

Who knows maybe both directions at once? Received on Tue Sep 19 2006 - 11:45:38 CDT