Re: Avoiding generating redo logs

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:27:36 +0200

Jeremy schreef:
> In article <eegn2k$io8$1_at_news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Frank van Bortel
> says...

>> As I understand the thread until now, you are worried
>> about logging - why?

> It was just a thought - if the option existed to reduce server activity
> then it was perhaps something to take advantage of. It is not a
> prerequisite by any means.
>
>> Also, you want to retain data over web sessions. Beats me
>> as to why, but it's *your* requirement. So, you
>> need a table.

> Well think of it like this - a query takes 5 seconds to execute (for
> example - i.e. it's a a wait). Results are say 200 rows. You display
> this in a browser window, perhaps 20 at a time. You want the user to be
> able to click a 'next' button to see the next 20 rows. Instead of re-
> executing the query, you simply select rows 21-40 from the table based
> on the current 'order by' - results returned almost instantly.

Just realized pressed send too early:
the query will be cached by the instance - just take a short test and you'll notice the first query will be slower than the subsequent ones.

If you would like to use something better than the ugly logon box basic authentication provides, check my blog

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...