Re: CLOB to VARCHAR2 -- (ver 9i)

From: <matt_at_mailinator.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2006 10:46:22 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> did you try? As far as I know it is possible.
> Just assign it. Implicit conversion shouldn't be a problem.

yep, i had tried it before posting. it throws an ORA-22859 exception:

   http://ora-22859.ora-code.com

Cause: An attempt was made to modify an object, REF, VARRAY, nested table, or LOB column type.

Action: Create a new column of the desired type and copy the current column data to the new type using the appropriate type constructor.

...a CLOB is a LOB, so i dont think it can be done. according to the above, one must copy the LOB column's data to the new column.

matt Received on Mon Sep 18 2006 - 12:46:22 CDT