Re: 9i linux install: permission problems: what is "oracle user"

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:26:22 +0200

Sybrand Bakker schreef:
> On 16 Sep 2006 18:46:15 -0700, "idiotprogrammer"
> <idiotprogrammer_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The reason they used two different users (i'm guessing) is to separate
>> two different installations (and so you can distinguish the two
>> applications when running together).

> This 'approach' is just asking for trouble and ending up with manyfold
> administrative issues.
> If you need 2 Oracle installations (which I doubt you do) install them
> in 2 different Oracle_homes under *1* single user.

Sorry, don't agree with this.
- administrative overhead is minimal (just remember what

   user to login with)
- setting environments for two different sessions/users is

   easier, and less error prone than setting environments    for one session/user, or multiple sessions/same user.

Lastly, there may be different requirements for different versions, which may affect each other.

The problem the OP is likely to run into is called oraInst.loc. If two different users have been installing oracle, and the location of oraInst.loc was *not* specified on the command line of the installer, it uses the same file. Ownership may have changed (the last install was done by oracle, not by bob, and now bob installs), hence the error.

Search for another oraInst.loc file (installation logs may be helpful), and use that - "runInstaller --help" will show you how

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...