Avoiding generating redo logs

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:19:58 +0100

Environment as in sig.

I am a little puzzled about the logging_clause when creating a table. We are designing a web application which will have use , at times, a table to hold a "cache" for a user. For example, a query is executed which takes a few seconds. We store the results in the "cache" and then the user can sort and filter on that "cache". This cache I envisage as a table structure with its PK being the user_id of the user logged in. The data in this table is of no lasting value as it is just a redult of a query.

I wanted to design this, if possible, so that there is no redo generated for DML performed on this table.

The NOLOGGING clause used when creating a table appears from the doc I read to state that its creation won't be recorded in the redo logs and that subsequent "direct loader (sql loader) and direct path INSERT operations against the object" will not be logged. Does this mean that a regular

  insert into mycache(id,val) values (1,'fred');

would be logged?

I cannot use a GLOBAL TEMPORARY table as the data will not be retained outside of the session (as ours is a web app over http a new session is started for every new screen displayed).

Also wondering if there are differences between 9i and 10g (this will go out on 9i first).

Thanks for any pointers.

--
jeremy

ENVIRONMENT: Oracle 9iR2 / Oracle HTTP Server / mod_plsql / Solaris 8