Re: Oracle Benchmark Results for Different Hardware Configurations?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2006 14:19:41 -0700

HansF wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:29:58 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:
>
> > Serge Rielau wrote:
> >> Further, car manufacturers certainly tune there vehicles to get the
> >> safety rating they aspire to rather than decreasing the de-facto injury
> >> rates (which would be the real application).
> >
> > But it is also what they sell. No RDBMS vendor can claim that what I
> > buy from their salesperson is exactly what was tested. A claim that
> > sleazy car salesman can make with a straight face.
> >

> What is the purpose of the commercial benchmark?
>
> I believe it is to give a relative comparison so that someone looking for
> equipment can use that as a starting point for decision making. Using
> defined standards to ensure intelligent people have a basis for trusting
> that comparison.
>

> I just bought a new car. One of the qualifications was 'very good fuel
> economy'. I looked at the standard fuel rating specs to assist in the
> decision process.

So, what did you get? (I seem to recall a flap among some hybrid buyers
when they found the highway mileage wasn't near what the sticker says).

Personally, I rate NVH over economy, as I drive a lot, then have to think to
get paid. There were a couple fuel bills this summer that almost changed
my priorities, but not quite.

> I would be a fool to expect the same mileage as the car manufacturer has
> all sorts of tricks to squeeze the best out of the car.

Yeah, the problem was hybrids have their big advantage in citified driving,
people's expectation was a bit off that.

> But I would be just as big a fool to expect the manufacturer or sales
> house to give me 10 cars, for one week each, so I could make my own
> comparison under my normal driving conditions.

Well, they _do_ give car writers cars, some of whom are leadfoots.

> So I used the benchmark as a guideline. Used it to reject some cars and
> select others for further study. I'll be happy if the new car achieves
> within 15% of the specs ... I simply don't drive downhill with a tail wind
> all the time.

That's reasonable.

> Same thing with the TPCs ... I know that the load is not identical to mine
> and that my tuning skills are not as extreme as those by the TPC team.
> But I also realize that all the vendors use the 'professional driver on a
> closed track' tactic, so I know that the benchmarks describe 'the best
> possibility' regardless of vendor combination. Therefore I can look at
> the benchmark results and select or reject configurations //as candidates
> for further study//!

I think the equivalent to the car writers is finding other customers using the software
and hardware combinations. But then again, I think people buying applications
are more inclined to consider funcionality than benchmarks. They often ask
their IT people to give input and _the IT people_ look at benchmarks - and I think that
part is often done wrong.

(One of the car magazines did compare some hybrids to one of the high-mileage
cars - and a Corvette - focusing on mileage. The surprising part was how well the Corvette did, (
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060424/FREE/60417021&SearchID=73244466514443 compare hybrid Accord - and 3/4 the mileage of the Prius).)

> But don't accuse me of being stupid enough to expect the TPCs to reflect
> my workload, or to give me an absolute target for performance in my
> environment. That level of stupidity is reserved for the PHB and
> shareholder crowd.

You, no. But others who are technical and should know better, I have seen.
I suppose that's how they become PHB's...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"PostScript from Adobe Systems is an underappreciated yet superb