Re: TAF and FCF together ?

From: <kuassi.mensah_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2006 13:28:32 -0700

TAF is an OCI feature exposed to Java through JDBC-OCI; the driver type independent failover solution (works for both Thin and OCI) is FCF which is based on RAC events.

Here is a brief comparison of the two (sorry for the display/layout).

FCF	                                        TAF
==================                    ===========================
Works for Both Client-side drivers     Works only for JDBC-OCI

Rapid Node/Service Failure   	    Rapid Node/Service Failure
Detection                                      Detection

Connection Retry by Application      Transparent Connection Retry
or Container                                   and Query Retry

In-Flight Transactions  Automatically   Application must Roll
Rolled Back                                      Back and notify TAF

Supports Dynamic Work Load     No Support for Work Load
Balancing                                  Balancing
I discuss Implicit Connection Cache, TAF, FCF and Runtime Connection Load-Balancing in more details in chapter 7 in my book.

Kuassi,
http://db360.blogspot.com/2006/08/oracle-database-programming-using-java_01.html