Re: Oracle Benchmark Results for Different Hardware Configurations?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:24:25 GMT

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 03:48:49 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:

> How does TPC results reflect the performance of a particular Siebel or SAP
> implementation?

Nope. And it shouldn't. That is perhaps why there are several different benchmarks in the TPC studies, each reflecting different workloads. Resulting in the ability for people to make a reasonable guess.

> Again, what's the use of TPC if you are doing your own benchmarking?

<sigh>
TPC is a reference. It is not intended to reflect a specific application, but to give a way of comparing things through ratios ... in spite of all the problems with ratios.

Benchmarking the actual application *properly* is always preferable to TPC (unless the benchmark must take politics into account). Like all the other public benchmarks, it is designed as a reference and must be used intelligently.

From your stance on this subject, I take it you (or your organization) is fortunate enough to have the skills, time, equipment and vendor relationships to be able to properly benchmark - /including verifiably correct application, OS and hardware tuning/ - for every application, server, disk and I/O controller combination of interest, at the application full load run time configuration. For that I commend you ....

No need to drag this on - you get the last comment.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!