I can't schedule more than one jobs with Oracle Scheduler

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2006 22:44:09 -0700

I've asked this question at oracle.misc, but haven't got this problem solved. So, I would like to try my luck here.

Here is the situation.

The office where I work uses Oracle 10g.

I need to run a series of sql commands each night to update the Oracle database. These sql commands are basically like:

insert into some_table blah blah;
update some_other_table blah blah;
drop yet_another_table blah blah;
create a_table blah blah;

I have no problem running all these sql commands from SQL*Plus console.

I attempted to put all these sql commands into one scheduled job. I followed the instructions at the following link:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/obe10gdb/manage/scheduler/schuser.htm

by checking out the oracle web service via http://<hostname>:5500/em , I then select administration, under scheduler heading, I select jobs and then in the "Command" textarea
(with command type "PL/SQL Block"), right between "begin" and "end;", I simply copy-paste the series of sql commands which I manually run every day from SQL*Plus console.

But then, when I hit the "Apply" button, the scheduler always whines as below:

SQL Error

Failed to commit: ORA-16612: string value too long for attribute
"job_action" ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_ISCHED", line 814 ORA-06512: at
"SYS.DBMS_SCHEDULER", line 1209 ORA-06512: at line 3

I googled hard, but the only solution to this problem I've found is
"use a shorter string" :-).

But, I can successfully create a job by using only one of those sql commands, and it runs with no problem.

Then, I thought, OK, let me just create a series of jobs, each of which executes only one sql commands.

But, I am not lucky. It looks like I can only schedule one job. If I hit "create" and schedule another job, then previously scheduled jobs will be automatically disabled.

I am new to Oracle, any idea on how to shoot this problem? Thanks a lot. Received on Thu Sep 14 2006 - 00:44:09 CDT