Re: Oracle Benchmark Results for Different Hardware Configurations?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:29:13 GMT

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 01:58:38 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:

>> Of course, one can potentially speed this process up entirely by using a
>> larger baseline, such as the application itself.   Or someone else's
>> application that has characteristics that are known to be similar (at
>> least in some areas) to the target
>>

> Then what do I need TPC for if I am going to use my own applications in my
> own environment.

Great. If you have the time, money and expertise to set up duplicates of the real live application environment, then that is the best way to go. No argument.

If you are trying to get a handle on the size & configuration of machine for that new (and totally unfamiliar) Siebel, SAP or E-Business Suite app that management just told you will be in production in 90 days, I wish you luck.

In that case, you just might find TPCs useful.

Some telco apps I've worked on in the past have needed teams of 10-15 people for 3 months to do the pre-purchase benchmarking. For some organizations, 30-45 person-months for something that is a speculation can be a bit of a luxury.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!