Re: Mupltple pages queries

From: Amogh <amogh.r_at_nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:19:28 +0530

jack.smith.sam_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> If you you want you to design a website using a database server you can
> design a query in the way that it returns answers in multiple pages.
>
> For example for returning all the books on amazon, the resutls are in
> the multiple pages. Now assumed that website is designed. My quetion is
> if such a query is designed by website admin and some client issued
> that query on the website, how the results are shown to the user:, i.e.
> is the result all computed by the DB server and cached and then
> returned to the user or is the first multiple pages of the query answer
> is cached and then returned to the user or some another approach?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
>

 >is the result all computed by the DB server and cached and then
 >returned to the user or is the first multiple pages of the query >
 >answer is cached and then returned to the user or some another >approach?

In short call it "Pagination". The application logic can completely control how you achieve it, not the DB server. One way of doing it: If you decide on displaying "n" records on one page, you can prefetch n*5 records and keep polling if the user reaches the fifth page. Once he does, you could again fetch additional data and display it.This way you avoid dumping everything at one go. This is just one way, there could be other more optimal ways of doing it.

Check this page under title "Pagination with ROWNUM" http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/06-sep/o56asktom.html

Rgds.
Amogh Received on Wed Sep 13 2006 - 07:49:28 CDT