Statistics and the rule based optomizer

From: Dan Dubinsky <ddubinsk_at_optonline.net>
Date: 12 Sep 2006 13:34:40 -0700

Hi All,

I have an Oracle 8.1.7 database and it is configured to use the RULE based optomizer. There is a product called GERS using the database that requires this.

I also have some custom queries that behave much better when using the cost based optomizer. I use the query hint /*+ALL_ROWS*/ or /*+FIRST_ROWS*/ to speed these up, but before these work properly I have to run ANALYZE TABLE UPDATE STATISTICS on the tables in the query.

The problem is that this GERS product has a script that specifically deletes stats each night.

I want to turn this script off, but I'm not sure why it would be there in the first place. Would there be any reason why having statistics updated on some of the tables in a database would cause trouble for queries using the rule based optimizer.

Thanks in advance,
Dan Received on Tue Sep 12 2006 - 15:34:40 CDT