Re: recreate all indexes on <tablename>

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2006 13:07:28 -0700

howard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked by Oracle support to drop and recreate all the indexes
> on a table to deal with a ORA-600 error.
>
> Now, how would the database know what to re-create if I had just
> dropped the index?
>
> Do I just run "recreate all indexes on <tablename>" after I have
> dropped them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Howard

So you're asking how to create indexes that do not currently exist in a database?

This reminds me of the scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail where the crew is hiding outside the castle, watching the (empty) large wooden horse being taken inside the castle ...

You were first supposed to have the app schema documented, with statements to re-generate all objects, roles, sys privs, tab privs, grants - ahead of time.

If there are no scripts for the creation of such objects documented, your best bet is to retrieve them by extracting them from a backup set. Some tools exist to do this from an export without having to have an open database instance.

good luck.

-bdbafh Received on Tue Sep 12 2006 - 15:07:28 CDT