Re: reading statspacks

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 12 Sep 2006 12:53:38 -0700

Bob Jones wrote:
> <blinky203_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there.
> > Im pretty new to Oracle administration (my backround being Unix
> > sysadmin). I looking for some pointers on where I can read-up about
> > interpreting statspack reports.
> >
> > At the moment, my eyes are just glazing over after the first few lines
> > :)
> >

> Reading users' faces is easier and more helpful than reading the statspack
> reports.

That's right on target.

Take the time to walk around and talk to people including important customer areas about how well your system is working.

If they start throwing things at you that's a clue ... but only a starting point.

What parts of the applications work well? Where are problem areas?

The old question "If I could fix just one ( or 3 ) things about the current system for you what would you want fixed first and why?" is very valuable.

The details will come eventually. At this point, for you being new in the area, start with a high level understanding. What the system does, how it does it, what parts work well and what parts have issues ... those are things to think about. Received on Tue Sep 12 2006 - 14:53:38 CDT