Re: How many problems are people finding in 9208 patchset?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2006 03:58:11 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > It looks like 2 bugs that will be filed out of what I have found so
> > far.
> >
> > Both minor and probably both specific to hpux 64 bit install ( maybe
> > that specific ).
> >
> > So we are proceeding along with testing and validating.
> >
> > Does anyone else think that perhaps a terminal release should come out
> > "squeaky clean" and that we shouldn't have to file service requests
> > that turn into bugs for things that were reported in prior patchsets?
> >
> > Or maybe that's a different world somewhere in a parallel universe.
>
> I'd like to live in that universe too. If I'm not too loopy, I think
> there were some patches for 8i, like they broke exp right at the end,
> and some security patches while they dithered about how to implement
> security patching. I haven't done windows too much, but weren't there
> like 15 post-terminal patches for it?

23, and counting. :) Considering that each is actually a merge of several bug fixes...

As of 9.2.0.8 - haven't any major issues with it since application to a production, but non-critical db. One bug fix I asked to be backported from 10g didn't make it, but I was told that data dictionary fixes are usually not implemented in patchsets unless they are really critical. This one is not considered critical because there's a workaround. Besides, if it will bother me too much, I can backport the fix myself - it's trivial and definitely not damaging. :)

Regards,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Tue Sep 12 2006 - 05:58:11 CDT