Re: Oracle Benchmark Results for Different Hardware Configurations?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 03:42:37 GMT

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:07:04 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:

> "HansF" <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:05:59 +0200, Lav Kovacic wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know where I can find any Oracle DB related benchmark results
>>> for different configurations of hardware?
>>
>> http://www.tpc.org ???
>>

> Two issues with the site:
>
> 1. You may not find the exact configurations.

In order for a benchmark to be published, the exact confirguration must be defined in the benchmark.

Whether you can purchase such a configuration is immaterial ... at least you know what is similar and what is significantly different.

> 2. You will not likely archive the same performance with your applications.

Very true. Few people, or organizations, are willing to put in the effort to do that level of tuning - and the tuning only needs to be valid for a relatively short period of time.

After all, hardware somes from the capital budget - capex (capital expense) - and is a one-shot allocation and relatively easy to obtain. Whereas tuning is ongoing - opex (operating expense) - and that is the first area to get cut when placating the shareholders. (Justifies the C-level bonuses.)

> So what's the point? If you already have the hardware, why not test it
> yourself.

That is Oracle's official stance.

Yet - when trying to determine which hardware to get it is useful to have some starting point, no matter how artifically derived. There are a large number of variables in any benchmark and the TPC at least makes some attempt to define them and to hold some of them to a relative constant. (Then at least you have some ammo when trying to get a discount on the equipment management has already, behind your back, decided to purchase.)

In any case, benchmarking anything other than the application to be run, with the specific resources that will be used to keep it tuned, is rather a moot point. (So is breathing - you're gonna die sometime anyway so why bother?)

Yup - I've lived Dilbert's life in the past, PHB and all! <g>

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!