Re: reading statspacks

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2006 15:56:44 -0700

blinky203_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there.
> Im pretty new to Oracle administration (my backround being Unix
> sysadmin). I looking for some pointers on where I can read-up about
> interpreting statspack reports.
>
> At the moment, my eyes are just glazing over after the first few lines
> :)

See:

Metalink Note:94224.1 (metalink.oracle.com, support contract required) Database Performance Tuning Guide and Reference (tahiti.oracle.com, among others)
www.oraperf.com (upload the statspack and get an unglazed report) OEM diagnostic pack for pretty pix for management http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/performance/index.html

Some people diss the Oracle Press 9i Performance Tuning book, but I think it has a pretty decent description of statspack. They have some more info at tusc.com, but it might be pretty advanced for a newbie.

And like Charles said, there is a lot "out there." Including a lot of myths, and some pretty smart people who question the usefulness of statspack.
http://wedonotuse.blogspot.com/2005/12/what-good-is-statspack-really.html

Here's some more general tips for this group: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

Is there some problem in particular you are trying to solve with statspack? Or are you looking to impose general procedures to be ready when problems arise? Or are you running statspack because someone said to?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"We don't think any bugs are acceptable." - John Wookey