Re: What driver is connecting to my database?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 01:51:42 GMT

Look at the Oracle Reference guide (http://tahiti.oracle.com) for a view called V$SESSION. In that view, you can see columns like PROGRAM, MODULE, ACTION, and CLIENT_INFO. Unfortunately, it is up the application program to set most of this information, which very few apps do. But in all of this, I have yet to see anywhere one can see that the app connected to the database with ODBC, JDBC, OCI, or any other driver. And for the most part, one should not care. I don't care *how* the apps connect to my database, and that is the beauty of a tiered networking approach.

> Our ERP system came with an ODA driver that is read only. If any of our
> users want to use MS Access to connect to our database they are
> supposed to use that driver with linked tables. We have had some data
> corruption lately with some rows being updated and some being deleted.
> No one is supposed to have the Ora92 driver to avoid this situation,
> but we are wondering if someone is using the Oracle supplied driver.
> How can I figure this out?

I'm not sure why the driver is the issue here. The driver is just the interface to the database. It links the app to the instance. It is up to the app to update and delete data. Oracle manages concurrent DML operations with its transactional control. How does the driver *inadvertantly* update or delete rows of data?

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net