Re: 9iR2 import

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 22:40:39 GMT

> In fact, I ask this cause one of my collegue run a
> "drop column" order on the table where I import
> 20Gig of data, the result was a deadlock and I was
> oblige to kill my import process...
> so if my import session could get a table level
> lock, it will make sense.

If the result was truly a deadlock condition, then one of your sessions would have been terminated without your action. Since you killed your import process, I will surmise that it was your process that was locked out from importing into the table while the DROP COLUMN command was being executed. If you would have waited for the DROP COLUMN command to complete, your import session would have resumed once it obtained the lock it needed.

If your import session had been importing into the table, then the DROP COLUMN command most likely would have terminated as it would not have been able to obtain its exclusive lock and it was not willing to wait for that lock.

So you can see that Oracle is doing just fine on its own protecting your import and the DDL command issued against the table. There is no need to lock the table prior to the import.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net