revisit old question about listener log

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2006 14:15:25 -0700

I am reviewing a shell script I wrote a few years ago to do regular houskeeping on the various log files on my db servers, and am looking for ways to make a few improvements.

Second, I do the same thing to the listener log. However, in that case it appears that the listener is holding the inode instead of the file name (I'm beyond my knowledge here). The evidence is that if I rename listener.log to listener.log.1, new entries are written to listener.log.1 - the only way I could get a new listener.log was to stop and restart the listener. That wasn't a problem in my old environment, but now we have multiple DB's and using dynamic registration, the listener could end up 'blind' to a database for the few minutes it takes for the DB to re-register with the listener. I could hard-code the sid list in the listener.ora, but wondering if there might be another approach that doesn't require bouncing the listener at all.

Thanks. Received on Thu Sep 07 2006 - 16:15:25 CDT