Re: longops vs sql

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 19:37:49 GMT

> Well, I was basing that from "Oracle SQL Tuning: Pocket Reference" by
> Mark Gurry. He claims that those times are "typical of a medium to high
> end machine"

I'm not sure I buy that advice. Also, one needs to take advice like that with a grain of salt as disk subsystems get faster and bottlenecks choke performance....lots of different things to consider.

To show that 300 disk I/O operations per second is not a relevant factor, consider the following snapshot of my 9.2.0.7 database on Solaris taken with Statspack:

Load Profile

~~~~~~~~~~~~                            Per Second       Per Transaction