Re: ORA-01036: illegal variable name/number

From: CJM <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:48:11 +0100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1157635391.281487_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
> CJM wrote:
>
> Perhaps your driver, being Microsoft technology, is autocommitting so
> there is nothing to roll back.

Initially, I was using OO4O which is a middleware layer from Oracle. Of course, this will autocommit be default so there would be nothing to rollback.

But I set the database object's Autocommit property to false and explicitly started and rolled-back the transactions to no avail...

> Try this simple test.
>
> INSERT ONE ROW
> ROLLBACK;
> COMMIT;
>
> Is the row committed or rolled back?
> --

I tried something similar along the lines of:

AutoCommit = false
DB.BeginTrans
Insert Single Row
Rollback

Although OO4O never objected to the Rollback (ie no errors), it simply didnt work - the rows were inserted anyway.

I moved across to ADO, and apart from the expected re-coding (although both ADO and OO4O are very similar in approach), I had no problems at all. Unfortunately, I'm using the MS ODBC For Oracle drivers, which have a chequered history, so I would like to 'upgrade' to a better solution; either a MS OLEDB driver or ideally the Oracle OLEDB driver which is included in the same package as OO4O. Unfortunately, it doesnt seemt to have installed correctly - at least, I can't see any Oracle OLEDB drivers shown in the ODBC Administrator (the instant client and full client are listed though).

CJM Received on Thu Sep 07 2006 - 09:48:11 CDT