Re: Memory utilized by Oracle background Processes

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:14:54 GMT

> The reason for my question is that I have a server with 3 instances and
> the total consumption on memory of the BG processes equate to 20G , so
> am looking at any documentation for the same to check if I am missing
> something
>
> I used " pmap PID" to get the memory consumed info

If you look at an instance's SMON process and the PMON process and see that each has 4GB of memory allocated, please keep in mind that this is the *same* 4GB of memory. SMON, PMON and the like all attach to shared memory. So they do not have different allocations of memory.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net