Re: Memory utilized by Oracle background Processes

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 06:19:21 -0700

Lord'N'Master wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Appologies .....
> Oracle Version 10gR2
> O.S - Sun Solaris 9
>
> why should number of dbwr(s) matter ??? or archiving for that matter...
>

> What i am looking for is the minimum memory that the backgroud process
> would consume at startup
>
> The reason for my question is that I have a server with 3 instances and
> the total consumption on memory of the BG processes equate to 20G , so
> am looking at any documentation for the same to check if I am missing
> something
>
> I used " pmap PID" to get the memory consumed info
>
> Regards
> L'N'M

The reason I asked the question about db writers and archive logging is that the more you have the more resources required.

I'll be watching how others respond to your inquiry but it seems to me you are looking in the wrong place. If 3 instances = 20GB for you, and I can easily run 10gR2 on a laptop with 512MB of RAM, in the current situation on this laptop 2 instances in 2GB of RAM ... you need to look into the values set in your spfile. It has nothing to do with background processes.

--
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group