Re: Question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:44:03 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> joel garry wrote:
>>
>>> While I agree that the "sink or swim" method of learning to administer
>>> is probably the worst way, sometimes in a large organization you have
>>> to grab the job, then learn it.
>> If one makes the following assumptions:
>>
>> 1. No one buys Oracle to store their mother's cookie recipies
>> 2. Data in Oracle databases is a corporate asset
>> 3. Professionals should act like professionals when on the job
>>
>> I couldn't disagree more vigorously.
>>
>> It is a good thing airline pilots don't take that attitude.
>>
>> Just because some members of management may be irresponsible doesn't
>> mean we should aide them in their quest for their 5 minutes of fame.

> Well, I agree with you, and especially your previously posted advice,
> just injecting a bit of reality for the OP. What I hope he picked up
> was the bit about finding out why there has been hiring. The sad fact
> of much corporate life is you have to react to the situation, good or
> bad, and use it to your advantage. Having verifiable job experience on
> your resume is an advantage these days, even if it was totally bad
> experience (and many organizations won't give out any more information
> than "yes, he worked here under that title"). Getting past a decent
> technical interview and being able to do a good job are other issues.
>
> Personally, I've always been just the slightest bit envious of people
> who fall into DBA jobs. Many have turned out well. Others have found
> it a route to something they would rather do, since it can be in the
> middle of things. Some just don't appreciate the opportunity. And
> some just shouldn't be doing it.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Nasty.
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060829/news_1m29hacker.html

<RANT>
I must confess that while I know your advice is 'what happens quite often in the real world' I also know that it also used to be what happened in other professions such as medicine, law, accounting, etc. before government regulation forced a clean-up or clear-out.

As professionals DBAs have a responsibility to not just roll over and play dead when asked by ignorant managers to do things that are stupid and/or harmful. Much like the physicians oath perhaps we need a tee shirt that reads: "I will manage databases for the good of my customers according to my ability and my judgement and never do harm to value."

Too many managers don't have the technical competence to make the decisions they make and compliant DBAs are their own worst enemies. It is not the managers that are offshored when things go terribly wrong.

Will some DBAs lose their jobs for refusing to do stupid things? Absolutely. I have personally walked away from two jobs where I refused to do things I viewed as harmful. And I'd do it again in the same situation tomorrow.
</RANT>

I really need a vacation. Well next week in Victoria BC (http://www.vicoug.org/announce.htm) and Portland Oregon (http://www.nwoug.org/events_fall06.htm). Hope to meet some of you there.

--
Daniel Morgan