Re: Oracle 10g startup problem

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2006 18:43:44 -0700

Ana Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi Charles,
> If I connect in the VMware, open a command prompt window and connect
> via SQLPlus, I get the message:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>
> I need to MANUALLY startup the database to be able to connect
> successfully to SQLPlus. The manual connection gives me no errors...
>
> This is the version I am using:
> VMware Workstation version 5.5.1 build-19175
> XP service pack 2
>
> Many thanks!
> Ana
>
> Ana, I have extremely little experience with 10g compared to many of
> > the others in the group, but I'd also ask if you can open a command
> > prompt window, connect via SQLPlus, and startup the database and if
> > not, what type of message(s) it gives you.
>

> Chuck Whealton wrote:
>
> > Ana Ribeiro wrote:
> > > Yes Chuck, you understood correctly my problem: I am running my XP
> > > system as a virtual machine. My virtual machine has 512MB of memory and
> > > my SGA has 164 MB of memory. I decreased my SGA size to 100MB,
> > > restarted the VM, but the problem persisted... Do you think that a VM
> > > with 512 MB is enough to have an Oracle 10g database (test environment
> > > only)? In case it is, what maximum SGA size should I use?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot!
> > > Regards, Ana

> > Ana, I have extremely little experience with 10g compared to many of
> > the others in the group, but I'd also ask if you can open a command
> > prompt window, connect via SQLPlus, and startup the database and if
> > not, what type of message(s) it gives you.
> >
> > Charles R. Whealton
> > Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

Ana:

I'm sorry to say I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point. I'd try what the other posters are suggesting.

But I wll ask, have you looked in the Windows event log? Just right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage", then go to the system tools/event viewer area.

Anything there?

It's probably something EXTREMELY simple, though I will say you've checked a bunch of the stuff that I'd look at first.

The only other time I've experienced what you're experiencing with 10g, is with 8i running under Windows 2000. The databases wouldn't start automatically, though you could login and start them with SVRMGRL without problem. It turned out to be an issue that Oracle addressed with a patch.

Undoubtedly NOT applicable here.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Wed Sep 06 2006 - 20:43:44 CDT