Re: Question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2006 17:24:01 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
>
> > While I agree that the "sink or swim" method of learning to administer
> > is probably the worst way, sometimes in a large organization you have
> > to grab the job, then learn it.
>
> If one makes the following assumptions:
>
> 1. No one buys Oracle to store their mother's cookie recipies
> 2. Data in Oracle databases is a corporate asset
> 3. Professionals should act like professionals when on the job
>
> I couldn't disagree more vigorously.
>
> It is a good thing airline pilots don't take that attitude.
>
> Just because some members of management may be irresponsible doesn't
> mean we should aide them in their quest for their 5 minutes of fame.

Well, I agree with you, and especially your previously posted advice, just injecting a bit of reality for the OP. What I hope he picked up was the bit about finding out why there has been hiring. The sad fact of much corporate life is you have to react to the situation, good or bad, and use it to your advantage. Having verifiable job experience on your resume is an advantage these days, even if it was totally bad experience (and many organizations won't give out any more information than "yes, he worked here under that title"). Getting past a decent technical interview and being able to do a good job are other issues.

Personally, I've always been just the slightest bit envious of people who fall into DBA jobs. Many have turned out well. Others have found it a route to something they would rather do, since it can be in the middle of things. Some just don't appreciate the opportunity. And some just shouldn't be doing it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Nasty.