Re: Question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:29:29 -0700

joel garry wrote:

> While I agree that the "sink or swim" method of learning to administer
> is probably the worst way, sometimes in a large organization you have
> to grab the job, then learn it.

If one makes the following assumptions:

  1. No one buys Oracle to store their mother's cookie recipies
  2. Data in Oracle databases is a corporate asset
  3. Professionals should act like professionals when on the job

I couldn't disagree more vigorously.

It is a good thing airline pilots don't take that attitude.

Just because some members of management may be irresponsible doesn't mean we should aide them in their quest for their 5 minutes of fame.

--
Daniel Morgan
University of Washington