Re: Oracle 10g startup problem

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 11:28:07 -0700

Ana Ribeiro wrote:
> Dan,
> As soon as I logged in the VMware, I checked the service
> "OracleServiceMAXIMO". Its Status was "Started" and its Startup Type
> was "Automatic". I tried to connect to the MAXIMO database in SQLPlus
> and got the error message:
>
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: Shared memory realm does not exist

That means nothing. Windows is a brain-dead operating system and will tell you whatever it wants whether that reflects reality is quite another matter entirely.

> Then I followed your suggestion to open a command prompt and run "net
> start oracleserviceMAXIMO". The problem persisted, I got the same error
> in SQLPlus ... Only after manually doing a startup of the database I
> could successfully connect in SQLPlus.

net stop oracleserviceMAXIMO
verify the database is down using SQL*Plus net start oracleserviceMAXIMO
verify if the database is up using SQL*Plus

If it is not, which appears to be the case, drop the service using oradim and then recreate it.

Oradim help can be found in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org under ORADIM.

PS: Maximo? You have my sympathy. Another piece of mainframe software moved to Oracle without engaging more than a handful of synapses.

--
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group