Re: Connect to two different Oracle servers using PHP / Perl ?

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2006 05:20:00 -0700

livefreeordie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Apache 2.2.3, and PHP 5.1.4 on Apache 2.2.3, on a Sparc
> Solaris 5.10 box. Our Oracle DBA installed the Oracle 10g server and
> client on the web server. He also installed the Oracle 9i Client
> (only), so that I can also connect to a remote 8i server.
>
> I have to set my $ORACLE_HOME each time I switch between the two
> clients.
>
> Is there a better way to do this?
>
> How can I configure PHP to connect to both? Is it possible?
>
> I tried to set up Oracle's Instant Client, but I couldn't get it to
> connect to either database. The closest I got to connecting to the
> remote server was an error that said "ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not
> currently know of service requested in connect
> descriptor".
>
> Thanks,
> Jamie

The easiest way is not to switch at all: Oracle 9i should be able to connect to 10g.
Still more easy of course would it be to get rid of 8i, as 8i is desupported long since.
This would also result in the recommendation to have your DBA replaced, as he doesn't seem to know anything at all about Oracle networking, and is , like you, not prepared to read relevant documentation.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA