Re: LOCK_SGA

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 23:45:09 -0700

Simo Silmu wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message

>> Simo Silmu wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> have you used current parameter in 9i environment on Solaris or HP-UX
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> We have a HP-UX server with many databases and one vendor recommends to
>>> use it with their database.
>>>
>>> What are cons and dis for this vendors database and others.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> SS
>> What problem are you having?
>>
>> The vendor for what application is  making this recommendation?
>>
>> How much RAM do you have on the server and how is it currently be used?
>> --
>> Daniel Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group

> Vendor is Siebel, and we or Siebel did performance evaluation and after that
> they recommended to set this parameter to TRUE. What they said is:
> When set to FALSE the SGA will get paged out of memory. This leads to poor
> performance for the Siebel database.
>
> and total amount of RAM is 16GB. Currently used is less than 10GB
>
> cheers
> SS

It is not:
"will get paged out of memory."
but rather:
"may get paged out of memory."
however unlikely.

It seems they are practicing preventive medicine. And while I wouldn't want to render an opinion on it being a good or bad idea (without a thorough search of metalink) my general impression of Siebel has always been one of incompetence and until Oracle controls a full release cycle I see no reason to alter my opinion.

My instinct would be to be conservative and alter nothing until there was a compelling reason to do so. Likely others here have their own Siebel stories and I'll be interested to see what they write.

Clarification: Siebel, from a functional standpoint is a decent piece of software. From the Oracle DBA point-of-view, from my experience, I've nothing nice to say about it.