Re: ORA-07445 in Alert.log

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2006 13:05:34 -0700

Brian Peasland wrote:
> jbmorla_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > joel garry wrote:
> >> Ora 600 and 7445 lookup tool (Note:153788.1):
> >>
> >> https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:3:4161157751554936370::::p3_database_id,p3_docid,p3_show_header,p3_show_help,p3_black_frame,p3_font:NOT,153788.1,1,0,1,helvetica
> >>

> >> (you may need to click on it again after you login if you get the
> >> metalink login screen)
> >>
> >> Note:211909.1 is the intro to 7445 errors.
> >>
> >> jg
> >> --
> >> @home.com is bogus
> >> Naw, they don't look that much alike: http://englishrussia.com/?p=253
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > You got this error first:
> >
> > Thu Aug 31 12:00:19 2006
> > Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 1300
> >

> > Then 6 hours later you got the core dump?
> >
> > It looks like you have a problem with the undo file size.
> >

> Huh?
>

> What does "cannot allocate new log" and the subsequent ORA-7445 have to
> do with the undo size?

Besides that, looking at the original post, the "cannot allocate new log" was due to
checkpoint not complete, then subsequently the new log was allocated. Then an
hour later (where did 6 hours come from?) the 7445 happened.

Probably two unrelated errors, both perhaps configuration related. Perhaps they
are related in that shared pool housekeeping was slowing down checkpointing. Or
conversely, slow checkpointing slowing down shared pool housekeeping. Or
completely way off init.ora slowing down everything.

I would wonder how big the shared pool is, how big the redo log buffer is, are there
redo log buffer waits, how often logs switch (and is a cron job being used? Right
at 12:00 and 13:00 is suspicious in itself), is the shared pool too small to handle the stuff in it, etc.

I get the idea this is a new 10g installation. Maybe it needs patching, too. Maybe
someone used the 9i settings of init.ora?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.