Re: problems creating new database

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:07:05 +0200

DA Morgan schreef:

> Take any Oracle or third-party GUI product on the market. How many types
> of indexes can you build? Not as many as I can with SQL*Plus. And
> therein lies the issue.

Eh, no - the issue is actually that the GUI ignores, or -even worsemisinterprets  the info displayed to the end user, and thus creates something different than advertised.

Seen it on the size of redo log members, and storage options. Those two issues have been corrected in 10G, but they do show the issue - there is a translation between the graphic display and the actual command, and that translation is one more possible point-of-failure.

I do not trust GUI's, that's all.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel