Re: system tablespace rollback segment is corrupted in 8i or 9i

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 5 Sep 2006 07:53:49 -0700

aman.oracle.dba wrote:
> IANAL_VISTA wrote:
> > "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle.dba_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> >
> > > Hello DBAs,
> > > If system tablespace rollback segment is corrupted then what......
> > > in version 8i or 9i ....
> > >

> > Restore from backups & do a PITR
>
> Wat will the effects on database if system's rollback segment is
> corrupted
> means will it be shutdown abort or any error msg will appear.......
> Pls inform.......

If you've somehow corrupted your SYSTEM rollback segments (and you should have at least two) you have far more serious issues with your database than simple recovery could correct. The SYSTEM rollback segment is used primarily for SYSTEM transactions and it's not generally available for public use.

The documentation explains how rollback segments are acquired and the results when the SYSTEM rollback segment is unavailable:

"The instance must acquire at least one rollback segment. If the instance is the only instance accessing the database, it acquires the SYSTEM segment. If the instance is one of several instances accessing the database in an Oracle Parallel Server environment, it acquires the SYSTEM rollback segment and at least one other rollback segment. If it cannot, Oracle returns an error, and the instance cannot open the database."

I've seen much over the years but I've yet to see a SYSTEM rollback segment corrupted, which does not mean it cannot happen (anything is possible). However finding a corrupt SYSTEM rollback segment, to me, would indicate far more serious issues with hardware (incorrect drive geometry, faulty disk controllers, disk arrays which are incompatible with the server operating system, etc.) which would need to be addressed before such an installation could even be considered worthy of use.

Reading the documentation would be most helpful as many, if not all, of the answers to your questions can be found there.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Sep 05 2006 - 09:53:49 CDT