Re: problems creating new database

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: 5 Sep 2006 02:44:44 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> I agree. The days of the command-line DBA are not numbered but the end
> is close enough you can see it with a pair of binoculars.
>
> Still my major issue with GUIs, and the reason I believe you must
> understand the command line to effectively use a GUI, is that no GUI
> ever written has built into it the ability to do everything that can
> be done at a prompt.
>
> Take any Oracle or third-party GUI product on the market. How many types
> of indexes can you build? Not as many as I can with SQL*Plus. And
> therein lies the issue.
> --

I also believe in using GUI's where necessary providing that you understand the underlying theory.

My main problem with GUI's is that they can encourage development "on-the-fly". This invariably leads to systems that have evolved over time and are difficult to recreate or rebuild with 100% accuracy. Scripts are repeatable; they can be ran again and again against different environments, if needs be, and always yield the same results. Received on Tue Sep 05 2006 - 04:44:44 CDT