Re: Oracle 10g Home Selector

From: T <t_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:15:12 +0200

"Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157381324.423605.272660_at_m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... T wrote:
> "astalavista" <nobody_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "T" <t_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> > edgj0a$lhh$1_at_ss408.t-com.hr...
> >> Where is Home Selector that have found on 9x and earlier versions of
> >> oracle? And what is an Oracle solution to replace Selector?
> >> How to implement an Oracle solution?
> >
> > Use OUI ...
> >

> I had 9.2.0.5 database and software on my server/computer. Home was named:
> Ora92
> Later, i installed Oracle Database 10g v. 10.1.0.2 i rise instance on it
> (home Ora10g), afterward i installed Oracle Designer v.10.1.0.2 to other
> home (home OraDesign)..
>
> I suppose, when i want to switch to Database 10g i have to run Oracle
> Univeral Installer and choose Ora10g default home name and pick button
> installed products, then next, then what ...?
> When does Oracle switch Home???
>
> When I wan't to use Ora92 home will i slill use OUI??

What home selector tool does is simply switch the order of $ORACLE_HOME/bin's (or %ORACLE_HOME%\bin's on Windows) in the PATH environment variable so that selected home goes first. With OUI 10.x, you fire it up, wait a little while for it to show up, then click Installed Products button, Environment tab and there you have the list of homes with Up/Down buttons to change their order and Apply button. And yes, you can use OUI 10.x to switch home to Ora92 all the same. However, editing the PATH variable is a lot faster to me while the outcome is the same. The choice is yours.

Hth,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com

I've started OUI version 2.x, so this option, for switching homes, was missing.
Home Selector has been incapsulated only with Universal Installer version 10.x, (exception,not in previous versions).. many thanks, for instructions Vladimir Received on Tue Sep 05 2006 - 02:15:12 CDT