Re: Sudoku: Round 2

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:28:39 +0200

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> a écrit dans le message de news: 1157207223.201614_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
| Michel Cadot wrote:
| > "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> a écrit dans le message de news: 1157178445.621662_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
| > | School starts again in October so I've a bit of time on my hands until
| > | then. And, realizing I had a lot of important things I needed to get
| > | done, instead I revisited my previous attempt at a PL/SQL Sudoku solver.
| > |
| > | I know there are a couple of solutions in Perl that are written in 2-3
| > | lines of code ... but their methodology is brute force and I find that
| > | inelegant so I went back to my original solution and added three more
| > | layers of sophistication.
| > |
| > | I haven't been able to find a puzzle that can defeat it but I am hoping
| > | someone can. If you want to try ... www.psoug.org and click on PSOUG
| > | Sudoku Challenge in the bottom right quadrant.
| > |
| > | Create two tables (sudoku and possibles) followed by three functions and
| > | a single procedure.
| > |
| > | Now I know the code needs a huge amount of cleaning up, bind variables,
| > | more use of NDS, put it all into a package, etc. but before I spend
| > | time on that I am hoping someone will beat it into submission.
| > |
| > | Let the game begin.
| > | --
| > | Daniel Morgan
| > | Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
| >
| > Why PL/SQL? It can be done with just SQL.
| >
| > Let the game bounce.
| > Michel Cadot

| Two things. I wanted the code to recurse until it completed and that
| requires a looping structure and I didn't want to do it by brute
| force. So far I've not found a puzzle that takes more than a fraction
| of a second to solve. Most under 1/2 second.
| --
| Puget Sound Oracle Users Group

Say you put forward a challenge and I did another one. But I neither found any Sudoku puzzle that can be solved with a SQL query. Do you want me to put another thread "Sudoku: Round 3" to avoid any confusion with yours? Or you can do it if you want.

Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Sat Sep 02 2006 - 13:28:39 CDT