Re: Oracle 10g startup problem

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Sep 2006 04:28:56 -0700

Ana Ribeiro wrote:
> Yes Chuck, you understood correctly my problem: I am running my XP
> system as a virtual machine. My virtual machine has 512MB of memory and
> my SGA has 164 MB of memory. I decreased my SGA size to 100MB,
> restarted the VM, but the problem persisted... Do you think that a VM
> with 512 MB is enough to have an Oracle 10g database (test environment
> only)? In case it is, what maximum SGA size should I use?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Regards, Ana
>
> Chuck Whealton wrote:
>
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> > > XP Home or Professional?
> > > What does VMWARE have to do with it?
> > > --
> > > Daniel A. Morgan
> > > University of Washington
> > > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > > (replace x with u to respond)
> > > Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> > > www.psoug.org
> >
> > Dan, the poster is running the XP system as a virtual machine. This
> > shouldn't have an impact. I've run Oracle under VMware workstation,
> > VMware Server, and on ESX Server. I also setup shared storage and had
> > 9i RAC for Windows <shiver...> working under ESX Server.
> >
> > This one's a bit strange because Ana has checked everything I know I'd
> > be checking.
> >
> > Ana: How much memory is allocated to the virtual machine and how much
> > is allocated to your SGA? Is there enough? What I'm getting at is I
> > did have an experience once under ESX Server where I was using RMAN to
> > restore a database and because I didn't have enough memory allocated to
> > the VM, but had an SGA that was way too big for the size of the VM (due
> > to bringing over the original system's init/spfile), it just seemed to
> > hang there.
> >
> > I allocated more memory to the VM and my problems went away.
> >
> > Charles R. Whealton
> > Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

Ana, I have extremely little experience with 10g compared to many of the others in the group, but I'd also ask if you can open a command prompt window, connect via SQLPlus, and startup the database and if not, what type of message(s) it gives you.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Sat Sep 02 2006 - 06:28:56 CDT