Is it always true to join remote table first?

From: <emdproduction_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2006 10:47:58 -0700

Just had a discussion about the database link with my co-worker.

If I have a table A, table B, both table will be on the remote site, and table c, d is on local.
The remote is a non-oracle database.

One theory is to create view v_AB on remote site for table A and B, and then join v_AB, c, d.
The argument is if we do not join remote table first, Oracle will have to do a full table scan on all the remote site and bring in all the data in table A, B into DB buffer, causing a lot of traffic and other performance issue, is it statement true?

Thanks for your help Received on Fri Sep 01 2006 - 12:47:58 CDT