Re: Oracle 10g startup problem

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2006 07:54:05 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> Ana Ribeiro wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I installed Oracle 10g in my computer (windows XP). After restarting
> > the machine, the database did not start automatically.
> >
> > I checked the following issues and everything was correct:
> > 1) Oracle.exe was running
> > 2) No problems in the alert.log of the database
> > 3) No errors in the oradim.log in th $ORACLE_HOME/database directory
> > 4) The windows services were correctly created
> > 5) Th KEYS ORACLE_SID_STARTUP and ORACLE_SID_SHUTDOWN were set to true
> >
> > I even tried to delete and create the service again, but the problem
> > persisted. Any ideas?
> >
> > Note: The environment was created in a VMWARE virtual machine
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> > Ana
>
> XP Home or Professional?
> What does VMWARE have to do with it?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

Dan, the poster is running the XP system as a virtual machine. This shouldn't have an impact. I've run Oracle under VMware workstation, VMware Server, and on ESX Server. I also setup shared storage and had 9i RAC for Windows <shiver...> working under ESX Server.

This one's a bit strange because Ana has checked everything I know I'd be checking.

Ana: How much memory is allocated to the virtual machine and how much is allocated to your SGA? Is there enough? What I'm getting at is I did have an experience once under ESX Server where I was using RMAN to restore a database and because I didn't have enough memory allocated to the VM, but had an SGA that was way too big for the size of the VM (due to bringing over the original system's init/spfile), it just seemed to hang there.

I allocated more memory to the VM and my problems went away.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Fri Sep 01 2006 - 09:54:05 CDT