Re: mailx is not working

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:48:59 GMT

muddu wrote:

> Steve Howard wrote:

>> muddu wrote:
>>> Hi ,
>>>
>>> I am running a simple unix script but mailx option is not working .
>>> please help me out.
>>>
>>> DAT=`date +%m%d%Y`
>>> MAIL=mudassar.dba_at_gmail.com
>>> AUDIT_DIR=$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit
>>> DIR=/opt/oracle/adminscripts
>>> . $DIR/parfiles/jobprofile
>>>
>>> cd $AUDIT_DIR
>>>
>>> #merge all .aud files to audit.log
>>> cat *.aud > audit_$DAT.log
>>>
>>> mv audit_$DAT.log $DIR/logs/audit/
>>> cd $DIR/logs/audit/
>>>
>>> #send audit.log to the mail recipient
>>> mailx -s "Audit log file" $MAIL < audit_$DAT.log
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>> ps -ef | grep send
>>
>> ...to make sure sendmail is running.
>
> I executed this command and it is showing like this
>
> ps -ef|grep send
>   oracle  4632  4468  0 23:00:01 pts/3    0:00 grep send
>
> Can you please explain me regarding above numbers 4632 and 4468 ,0 ,
> pts/3.
>
> thanks

The number 4632 is the process id of the "grep send" command. The number 4468 is the parent process id, or the process that spawned this command. This is your current Unix session.

If sendmail was running, you should also have seen something similar to the following:

     root 576 1 0 Aug 28 ? 0:01 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m

Since you did not see /usr/lib/sendmail in your output above, it is clear at this point that sendmail is not even running on the server. That is why mailx is not working correctly. Please talk with your SysAdmins to get this issue resolved.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net