Re: mailx is not working

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:32:40 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> muddu wrote:
>>> Hi ,
>>>
>>> I am running a simple unix script but mailx option is not working .
>>> please help me out.
>>>
>>> DAT=`date +%m%d%Y`
>>> MAIL=mudassar.dba_at_gmail.com
>>> AUDIT_DIR=$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit
>>> DIR=/opt/oracle/adminscripts
>>> . $DIR/parfiles/jobprofile
>>>
>>> cd $AUDIT_DIR
>>>
>>> #merge all .aud files to audit.log
>>> cat *.aud > audit_$DAT.log
>>>
>>> mv audit_$DAT.log $DIR/logs/audit/
>>> cd $DIR/logs/audit/
>>>
>>> #send audit.log to the mail recipient
>>> mailx -s "Audit log file" $MAIL < audit_$DAT.log
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>> In what way is this an Oracle issue?
>>
>> What version of Oracle?
>> I'd suggest using UTL_MAIL or UTL_SMTP and get out of the shell.
>
> Now maybe if he just moved his oracle database to mac os it would work
> just peachy?

I've run Oracle on MVS, VMS, Teradata, Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, Linux, Windows, and yes the MacOS. Of those my preference was the MacOS and it would still be if Apple hadn't put its tail between its legs and walked off the field.

As the OP never mentioned Apple it would have been off-topic for me to bring it up. But given that you have I want to thank you for once again giving me the opportunity to again express my frustration with Steve Jobs in a public forum.

Thanks.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington