Rac Backups....

From: B14 <b14speedfreak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2006 03:33:09 -0700

Hi all,

My thanks in advance for Reading and any posts.

We currently have a Rac Database which runs on Linux Redhat Ent 3 with Oracle 9i database on it. It is backed up by a Solaris 8 x86 box with Netbackup 5.1 and 2 tape drives. It is all connect via a 100mb standard line which is set up for full duplex on both ends.

The database is about 500 - 600 gigs in size. Currently we do a full level 0 backup of the database daily. The tapes get changed on a Tuesday and a Friday, unfortunately the box is in America (Las Vegas) and I am in the UK, so it would be quite difficult (but not totally impossible) for us to run an incremental backup strategy of some sort. The backup takes about 14 hours to run.

The current script that we are using looks like this:

DATE=`date +%m%d%Y-%H%M%S`; export DATE
USER=`id | cut -f2 -d"(" | cut -f1 -d")"`

ORACLE_SID=[sid]; export ORACLE_SID
ORACLE_USER=[user]; export ORACLE_USER
ORACLE_HOME=[path] export ORACLE_HOME

#delete log files older than 35 days

find /var/adm/netbackup -name "auslive*" -mtime +35 -type f -exec rm {} \;

#if [ "${USER}" = "root" ]
#then

 # su - ${ORACLE_USER} "cd /rac/DBA/scripts/BACKUP/" #-c "${CMD_STRING}"
  # SUCCESS=$?
#else

 #       eval "/rac/DBA/scripts/BACKUP"
  #      SUCCESS=$?

#fi

<<EOF su - [user]
<<EOF1 /u01/oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/rman msglog /var/adm/netbackup/AUSLIVE_b
ackup.${DATE} append

        connect target [user]/[pass]@box
        connect catalog [user]/[pass]@box
        #change archivelog all validate;
        run {

                allocate channel ch1 type sbt_tape
PARMS="BLKSIZE=1048576";
                allocate channel ch2 type sbt_tape
PARMS="BLKSIZE=1048576";
                #allocate channel ch3 type sbt_tape;
                CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO 'SBT_TAPE';
                CONFIGURE CHANNEL 1 DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' MAXPIECESIZE
100000m
CONNECT = '[user]/[pass]@box';
                CONFIGURE CHANNEL 2 DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' MAXPIECESIZE
100000m
CONNECT = '[user]/[pass]@box';
                #CONFIGURE CHANNEL 3 DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' CONNECT =
'[user]/[pass]@box';
                change archivelog all validate;
                send "NB_ORA_CLASS=[policy]";
                #send "NB_ORA_CLIENT=[client]";
                send "NB_ORA_CLIENT={client]";
                send "NB_ORA_SCHED=full";
                backup
                        incremental level=0
                        filesperset  150
                        format "bk_%s_%p_%t"
                        tag "hot_${ORACLE_SID}_${DATE}"
                        database;
                        sql "alter system archive log current";
                backup
                        filesperset  10
                        format "ct_%s_%p_%t"
                        current controlfile;
                        sql "alter system archive log current";
                backup
                        filesperset 150
                        format  "al_%s_%p_%t"
                        archivelog all not backed up 2 times;
                backup
                        filesperset 50
                        format  "al_%s_%p_%t"
                        archivelog until time 'SYSDATE-4' delete input;
                        release channel ch1;
                        release channel ch2;
                        #release channel ch3;
        }

exit

I have been through this with Oracle, but they are just saying that its a problem with the Veritas End.

The one thing that I have noticed is that when the backup runs, initially for the first 45 mins both tape drives are used. After that 1 is utlized, and it stays utilized for the full backup, then slowly but surely a few other channels are kicked off, much like the second and last for about 45 mins.

My question is this. Is there any way for me to split the work load up between the 2 tape drives more evenly I.E. both tape drives are being used more often, rather than just 1. I thought I might be able to do this via maxpeicesize in the rman script.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks again for reading and any posts,

B14... aka... Marky Mark... Received on Thu Aug 31 2006 - 05:33:09 CDT