Re: Oracle Backup to new SID

From: <steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 30 Aug 2006 13:47:33 -0700

Steve Howard wrote:
> My guess is you mean 9.2.3?

Sorry - yes 9.2.3 not 9.3

> I would suggest reading up on logical (rather than physical) standby
> databases, as this may meet your need. It has some funky restrictions
> on datatypes, but it may not affect you.

Thanks for the tip. You are right, we have only been using the physical standby so far. In fact we would like to do like we do for our Informix servers and be able to run reporting from the replication server rather than on the primary, and I heard this is now possible starting in Oracle 9i.

> (RMAN) is the only thing we use, and is really slick/fast, especially when
> you use multiple channels. You can use the DUPLICATE functionality
> within RMAN to create a copy of a database to another host.

I will have to read up more on the RMAN product. The only info I have on it right now is the Enterprise DBA guide from 1999 from Oracle Education, and what I saw at the Openworld last year. Unfortunately most of the stuff was too high-level or dealt with 10g in particular and our legacy system has not yet been certified with that version.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Steve Received on Wed Aug 30 2006 - 15:47:33 CDT